"The Three Rs of Coal: Reset, Rebalance, Restore"
Tuesday, March 7, 2017
7:30 am -11:00 am ACC Board of Directors Meeting
12:00 pm - 5:00 pm ACC Golf Tournament | Business Networking Time
1:00 pm - 4:30 pm Tomorrows Leadership Council Development Seminar (TLC members only)
5:30 pm - 7:00 pm Spring Coal Forum Welcoming Reception
7:30 pm -9:30 pm Tomorrows Leadership Council Dinner (TLC members & Guests only)
Wednesday, March 8, 2017
7:15 am - 8:15 am Networking Breakfast
8:15 am - 8:30 am Welcome, Antitrust Reminder, and Conference Overview
Betsy Monseu, CEO, American Coal Council
Mike Siebers, Senior Vice President, Sales & Marketing, Peabody Energy, and President, American Coal Council
8:30 am - 9:30 am Special Guest Speaker
Former Executive Director Energy Makes America Great! Inc and Citizens Alliance for Responsible Energy (CARE)
As a prolific writer, dynamic speaker, and energy advocate, much of Marita Noon’s professional career has been devoted to educating on the responsible use of energy and the importance of producing it from our nation’s abundant fossil fuel sources. Marita’s background includes ten years as Executive Director for two organizations, Energy Makes America Great Inc. and companion educational organization Citizens’ Alliance for Responsible Energy (CARE). Her efforts have been at the core of a mission to better inform Americans and help to discern energy reality from energy rhetoric.
Marita will join us to share her multi-faceted perspective on framing energy issues for the public. Even with a pro-energy Administration in Washington and a brighter policy and regulatory outlook for coal, the need for grassroots education continues to be critical and will be essential to supporting future energy development and sustaining fuel choice.
9:30 am – 10:00 am Break
10:00 am - 11:30 am Session I: Policy & Regulation
- Rolling Back Coal-Related Regulations for the Power Sector: primary focus will be on air quality regulations including the Clean Power Plan, regional haze, and ozone and the Cross State Air Pollution Rule
Michael J. Nasi, Partner, Environmental & Legislative Practice Group, Jackson Walker L.L.P.
- State-level Efforts to Roll Back Coal Electricity Policies: building support at the state and local level to counter policies against coal-fueled generation, and educating states on opportunities with the new administration in Washington DC
- A Regulatory Reset for Coal Mining: strategies and tactics for addressing the Stream Protection Rule, the federal coal leasing moratorium and review, water quality standards, and issues around the Federal Mine Health and Safety Review Commission, the Mine Safety and Health Administration, and the National Labor Relations Board
M. Shane Harvey, Member, Jackson Kelly PLLC
11:45 am-12:45 pm Networking Lunch & Golf Awards
1:00 pm -3:00 pm Session II: Markets
- What’s Ahead for Met Coal?
Metallurgical market volatility has been a hallmark of the coal marketplace. What’s the outlook for 2017, after a major ramp-up in price during the latter part of 2016?
Bob Bennett, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer, Blackhawk Mining
- Thermal Coal Trends: the growing influence of coal-gas pricing spreads and regional impacts, reverse switching, generation outlook, coal/energy policy considerations, and export prospects
Alex Cook, Energy Analyst, S&P Global Market Intelligence
- Coal Capital Markets Update: with announcements of new mine developments, a new administration in Washington DC, and an improved outlook for coal, what’s a lender’s perspective on coal lending and the capital markets for coal financing?
Jonathan Rose, Managing Director - Investment & Corporate Banking, BMO Capital Markets
3:00 pm - 5:30 pm Business Networking Time
3:15 pm - 4:00 pm Optional Session
5:00 pm -5:45 pm Board Reception for New & Prospective Members (by invitation)
5:30 pm - 7:00 pm Spring Coal Forum Reception
Thursday, March 9, 2017
8:00 am - 8:45 am ACC Annual Membership Meeting Breakfast (all invited)
8:00 am - 9:00 am Networking Breakfast
9:00 am -10:30 am Session III: Infrastructure & Technology
- Natural Gas Infrastructure Readiness Assessment: the increasing reliance on natural gas for power generation, a need for natural gas storage capability and pipeline capacity, the aging state of existing natural gas infrastructure, safety and reliability concerns post-Aliso Canyon, and public opposition to infrastructure – what implications do these have for electricity costs and reliability, and how might that impact coal?
Theresa Pugh, Theresa Pugh Consulting
- Longview Power and the role of Advanced Coal Power Plant Technology: The Longview power plant is an advanced supercritical plant and a leading example of a low emissions, high efficiency coal plant. Can this be a model for a new generation of coal plants in a more favorable policy environment?
Jeffery Keffer, President and CEO, Longview Power LLC
- Longview Power and the Future of Reliable Clean Coal Power: The Longview power plant is an advanced supercritical plant and a leading example of a low emissions, high efficiency coal plant. Can this be a model for a new generation of coal plants in a more favorable policy environment?
Jason Begger, Executive Director, Wyoming Infrastructure Authority
10:00 am -10:30 am Concluding Keynote Address
Mr. Stephen Moore,
Distinguished Visiting Fellow, The Heritage Foundation
Senior Economic Analyst, CNN
Senior Economic Advisor, Trump Campaign
Mr. Moore is a Distinguished Visiting Fellow for the Project for Economic Growth at The Heritage Foundation. He was a Senior Economic Adviser to the Trump Campaign, helping devise the tax, energy, and budget policy. He is a Senior Economic Analyst for CNN, and formerly wrote on the economy and public policy for The Wall Street Journal and was a member of The Journal’s editorial board.
He is the author of numerous books, including most recently “Fueling Freedom: Exposing the Mad War on Energy” co-authored with Kathleen Hartnett White. In their book, the critical role of fossil fuels is reinforced and the issues created by "green" alternative energy policies are confronted.
Mr. Moore will provide an outlook for economic and energy policy and the future of coal in the context of the Trump administration.
11:30 am Conference Adjourns